Thursday 15 August 2013

Letter to the Editor

Three days ago I published an article talking about what it's like to be a Berkeley Girl amid the disturbing sexual politics that exist on the campus. I have since been overwhelmed by the enthusiastic and supportive responses to the post, and by the number of hits it has received; it's now the most-read article from the entire year.

Yesterday morning I got an email from an anonymous berkeley girl. With her permission I am publishing it on here:


"Thank you for writing that article. It's traumatically accurate. Last October I was assaulted, violently, in my dorm bedroom by a neighbor who lived down my hall. I'd had well over six drinks and was fading in and out of consciousness while he was hurting me. It lasted hours.
When word spread that I'd filed an anonymous police report, I was pressured to keep quiet. I was in denial until spring, when I got wind of rumors that I was believed to be schizophrenic because of my reaction to what had happened to me. 
After this I broke my silence to get a male perspective, and disclosed the details of my story to some male friends. They were horrified, agreed I'd been assaulted, and encouraged me to go to the police properly before it happened to someone else. I never pursued legal charges for fear of a Steubenville-cal firestorm, but the injustice is haunting and I was wondering if you could recommend any online media source that might publish my account anonymously. 
(Something else to note: UC Berkeley Hookups removed the anonymous submissions link after I'd sent in my story of the assault. It was never published. I've considered setting up a "UC Berkeley Sex Crimes" page in the same vein...) 
In any event, I know a lot of other girls who would appreciate that blog entry, so thanks again on their behalf."


Here is a Berkeley Girl who wants to shout back. If you've taken the time to read this post, I hope you can also take the time to give her a small shout-out with encouragement and support. Do it underneath this blog, or send an email or tweet via me. It takes a lot of guts to send an email like that, and I'm pretty sure she'd appreciate hearing that a culture of silence is something that should be broken.

[NB: At the request of the anon. I have created a separate page where she has uploaded her full account of the assault. You can read it HERE. Be warned that it contains graphic and distressing material.]

6 comments:

  1. You are brave, anon. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly impressed by your bravery, Anon. It takes real guts to overcome such a horrendously oppressive social stigma. I'm glad you have the support of some of your friends, and I hope with time others come to adjust their attitudes.

    Best of luck for the future, it would be wonderful to hear of your progress. All our love and support from the UK! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horrible situation that was, talking about this against all the stigma you've faced is so brave; I wish you lots of luck in trying to ensure that people stop getting away with such awful acts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for speaking out and sharing your story. I wish all women felt able to speak out when subjected to awful treatment like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What this guy did to you was AWFUL. He does not deserve to graduate. Whatever shame people made you feel for this should be shame he felt instead. I hope he can one day learn the error of his actions and apologize to you. You deserve his guilt. You deserve his mind to change. You deserve for him to see you as a person. I read your account and was horrified. I hope your physical health is back and your body is okay. You should know that there are an infinite amount of people in this world who are good and want justice for you, I being one of them. You are an amazing person for coming forward. You were in that moment of abuse a victim, but now you are a survivor. Do not think anything less of yourself because of this. I hope you have healed from the trauma and know that there are people who love you. I hope you see in yourself the wonderful and beautiful things others see in you. Please make another post on the anon account page about anything the public can do to help this anon's case and the cases of others; if a petition goes up or if a protest is being staged or if we can organize people to call the university directly and pressure them to hold these sexual assaulters accountable. I wish everyone the best and wish for us to work together to bring change to this world, in the name of this anonymous woman and in the name all women.

    ReplyDelete