Tuesday 8 May 2012

From West Africa to the West Coast…


Two years ago, a dizzy eighteen year-old was potato-sacked to the other end of the world for a life of blazing sun, burning heat, and kamikaze goats. She spent six months causing herself irreparable skin damage; careering around Africa in minibuses (or tro-tros) held together primarily with duct tape and bits of string; learning how to teach a class of thirty children armed with machetes; and beginning that arduous process of Growing Up…

 
Now aged twenty-one, and officially deemed An Adult, I’m still not quite there. Yet, coming to the close of my second year as an American Literature and Creative Writing student at the University of East Anglia, life is good.

 I have amazing friends; a course I love doing; a student dive modelled on Withnail and I. 

I am the Glee Choir’s resident Diva; the Housemate Who Sings At Inappropriate Hours In The Morning; a waitress at an eclectic little Italian restaurant in the city centre. 

I am happy. 

So of course, now is the perfect time to dig out the potato sack again: Back across the Atlantic with you- but this time we’re sending you in the opposite direction altogether! 

In exactly three months’ time I will begin a year of study at The University of California, Berkeley. Described online as ‘one of the preeminent universities in the world’, it is an Ivy League institution with a vast spectrum of academic programs, and a Golden Bear mascot.
At this stage, that is more or less all I know. 

So, once more into the blogosphere! Here we go again…

No comments:

Post a Comment